2010-11-20

"One man's waste is another man's treasure"




 For my Digital Illustration class, I had to design and illustrate a poster with an "environmental" message. Looking around my room for inspiration, I noticed the clutter of objects. From magazine collections, to my rack of clothing, my laptop, cd's, jewelery, body products, books, and souvenirs, my room was full of consumed products. I also have several plastic tubs filled with things such as recycled decorative paper, light bulbs, ceramic tiles, stacks of magazines, piles of fabric scraps, and bags of mixed buttons and beads. So much stuff, that a friend once told me that my room looked like a dollar store. I was beginning to understand the full extent of that truth. This made me wonder why I continue to buy so many novelty items that I not need. Thinking back to two years ago when I watched Agnes Varda's film, "The Gleaners and I", I thought about how people could reuse their junk to create new valuable objects, and find new uses. Upcycling is not a new idea, and I found many websites that had great suggestions of reusing "waste".

No comments:

Post a Comment